Friday, January 15, 2010

Two Quotes about a Philosophical Attitude

Here are two quotes that capture the interplay between inward reflection and outward attention and expression.

“To truly know the world, look deeply within your own being; to truly know yourself, take real interest in the world.” Rudolf Steiner (1861 - 1925)
Austrian philosopher, educator

I subscribe to a philosophy quote of the day from The School of Practical Philosophy. I read this quote on the first day of the semester. If you'd like to subscribe yourself, go to www.philosophyworks.org

The second quote is part of a long Mary Oliver poem, Sometimes. I read a poem every day as part of my daily meditation practice, "Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it."

1 comment:

  1. Wow! The School of Practical Philosophy appears right up my alley. I definitely will be looking into it and will subscribe to the quote of the day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete